Gardening Franchises UK – the TOP 10 MUST KNOWS about finding and running a successful UK Gardening Franchise.
Gardening Franchises UK have shown consistent growth rates over the last five years. Here’s what would-be Franchisees need to know before investing in a UK Gardening Franchise.
Whether it’s the back garden or the front lawn, a well-maintained green space adds much more to a home than mere beauty.
Britons across the UK (and even expats scattered across the world) have always loved adding a bit of green to their houses. Echoing the same sentiment, Kipling equated the society around him to a well-taken-care-of garden thus:
“OUR England is a garden that is full of stately views,
Of borders, beds and shrubberies and lawns and avenues,
With statues on the terraces and peacocks strutting by;
But the Glory of the Garden lies in more than meets the eye.”
Thankfully, what used to be seen as a retirement hobby has now evolved into a therapeutic gateaway for tens of thousands of homeowners.
Yet, few homeowners can actually manage to find the time (or the will) to look properly after their gardens and lawns. And, as it turns out, the entire property is judged adversely if the lawn and the garden are in a state of neglect.
Fortunately, along with thriving gardens and lawns has grown a wonderfully compact, community-centric industry. Gardening franchises UK aim to enter, own and dominate this industry with a diverse set of franchising solutions for franchisees who are willing to invest.
In this article, we’ll touch upon various factors that affect the landscaping and gardening franchises UK. If you are new to franchise4u, do take a moment to visit and bookmark our series of free franchising guides.
Gardening Franchises UK – A Self-Contained Market Waiting to Explode
Gardening has always been an integral part of domestic bliss in the UK. But, you can’t really put your finger on the enormity of the size of this industry until you actually start quantifying our gardens.
- The gardening and landscaping industry is worth well over £5 billion. For an industry that is essentially ancillary to the housing market, this is an impressive number. The annual spending on garden and lawn care in the UK amounts to over £1.5 billion.
- As we mentioned earlier, Britons love dedicating significant parts of their property to gardens and lawns. In fact, the combined are of all domestic gardens in the UK is estimated to be the size of the entire Somerset county (over 4,000 km2).
- An average domestic garden in the UK is approximately 14m2 in size. It takes 3-4 hours of work per week to look after an average British domestic garden.
Source: Horticulture Trades Association
Combine these numbers with the relatively under-served nature of the market and you’ll understand why gardening franchises UK have been doing a touch better than other franchise businesses in the last few years.
Gardening Franchises UK – More Reasons In Favour of Them
While the statistical reasons are enough to paint a good picture of the health of the industry, it’s also prudent to look past these and see what really makes gardening and landscaping franchises UK appealing to the end customer:
Gardening Is NOT Easy.
You don’t need an expert to tell you this: getting your hands dirty on a regular basis isn’t a thing that many like to do as a leisure activity. Gardening is an excellent medium of balancing one’s mental and physical health – and this is exactly why people don’t do it. We had discussed a similar point while dissecting fitness franchise opportunities in the UK.
People Don’t Have Time Anymore.
Sparing a minimum of 2 hours every week sounds easy, right?
When people don’t have enough time to look after themselves while living their frantic lifestyle, it’s a bit much to expect them to take some time out every week to look after their gardens and lawns.
Gardens and Lawns Add Value – And People Know It.
They may not have the time it takes to do it themselves, but homeowners across the UK know that a well-maintained and groomed lawn/garden does add more value – not just to their property, but to the entire neighbourhood.
Hiring a Professional Gardener Is Cost Effective.
When you hire a professional gardener, you can rest assured that your garden and lawn are being looked after the right way. In the long run, it’s extremely cost-effective. This is one of the most important factors in favour of UK gardening franchises.
What Does A UK Gardening Franchise Do?
UK Gardening Franchises can be split into two broad categories based on the market they service:
UK Domestic Gardening Franchises
These are by far the most common. A domestic gardening franchise typically services individual homeowners, landlords and societies. These franchises address various needs of their customers – mowing lawns, watering plants, weeding, trimming hedges, laying grass turfs/sods and so forth.
Most domestic gardening franchises visit individual customer sites once or twice a week, giving themselves ample scope to onboard dozens of customers (based on the number of employees).
UK Commercial Gardening Franchises
Commercial gardening and landscaping franchises UK are a more robust, industrial-scale version of their domestic counterparts we just discussed.
A commercial gardening franchise has better resources in terms of workforce, technology, equipment and capital. Their customer base includes local businesses and industrial locations. These can range from schools and hotels to factories and office complexes. If you can establish yourself in a decently sized territory by securing contracts from even a handful of large clients, a commercial gardening franchise can provide attractive returns on your time and money.
How Much Do Gardening Franchises UK Cost?
A typical gardening franchise UK can cost you anywhere between £5,000 and £35,000.
The cost varies based on the franchisor’s business model, their brand value and the territory you wish to operate in.
In addition to the initial investment, you will need to take into account the following recurring expenses while drawing up your business plan:
- Equipment costs
- Staff salaries
- Travel expenses (you’ll most likely be using one or more vans to visit customer sites)
- Franchisor fees/royalties
The incomings include subscription fees from regular customers and one-off charges from other customers. In addition, you can establish additional revenue streams by selling gardening products and equipment that complement your business.
Can You Run a Gardening Franchises From You Home?
Yes, you can.
In fact, most gardening franchises – the domestic ones, at any rate – are home-based. Running a home-based franchise has its share of advantages. You don’t have to dole out hefty rents, and you can get started on a small budget.
Do You Need to Be a Trained Professional In Order to Run a Gardening Franchise?
Not really, no.
You can buy and run a successful gardening franchise even without being intimately aware of the industry. In most cases, the franchisor’s training programmes (all good franchisors have them) will bring you up to speed. It will, however, be useful if you have some prior experience of running your own business. If you want to know what it takes in general to run a successful franchise business, head over to our free Should You Run a Franchise Business guide.
In addition, if you’re offering pesticide/insecticide services, the handler will need to have appropriate licences/certifications.
Top Gardening Franchises UK
Here’s our selection of some of the most popular UK gardening and landscaping franchises.
- Minimum Initial Investment: £9,950 (plus VAT)
- USP: Domestic and commercial gardening services
- Proven marketing and delivery mechanism
- Break even within 36 months
- Quality training for your employees
- Ongoing support
- Minimum Initial Investment: £8,400 (plus VAT)
- USP: Leading lawn care provider
- Up to 70% profit margins
- Flexible business model
- Access to bespoke equipment and accessories
- Extensive training
- Full BFA Member
- Minimum Initial Investment: £4,471 (plus VAT)
- USP: High-quality domestic lawn care provider
- Home-based lawn franchise opportunity
- Year-round business
- Attractive margins and low recurring fees
- Minimum Initial Investment: £44,950 (plus VAT)
- USP: Commercial grounds maintenance
- One of the best-known franchising brands in the UK
- A portfolio of over 12,000 sites
- Full training and finance support
- Dedicated territories
- Full BFA Member
- Minimum Initial Investment: £10,995 (plus VAT)
- USP: Full-scale gardening services
- Home-based gardening franchise opportunity
- Can be run part-time
- Full training on offer
Gardening Franchises UK – The Takeaways
- Understand the economics of gardening services in your territory.
- Focus on securing large contracts to avoid having to spend a large share of your revenue on marketing.
- Build a strong local network through repeat business.
- Hire trained, talented staff.
- Work out your finance well before you jump in.