The leading free magazine for local parents
Become part of the Families family and publish your own magazine for local parents!
Publish a magazine you’d love to read yourself! You don’t need a background in magazines or publishing to become a successful Families® magazine franchise owner but you do need to be motivated, organised and an excellent communicator.
This is a home-based, flexible business opportunity as a publisher of the UK’s favourite magazine for parents.
What is Families Magazine?
A free bi-monthly magazine which is so relevant to parent readers that it has become a much-sought-after community resource. Readers frequently tell Families® Magazine how much they appreciate it.
“The magazine is essential and I would be lost without it!”
Sarah, Hatfield, Hertfordshire
“Thank you for this publication. It is a lifesaver!”
Jule, Stoke on Trent
The magazine offers local businesses a highly targeted way of marketing to local parents via print, online and social media.
Families Magazine® trail-blazed the free parenting magazine model. They are leaders in their field and have been building their brand for 30 years.
They have 40 editions across the country but it’s not too late to join them! They still have franchise launch opportunities available in plenty of areas. Many of their existing franchisees have been with them for more than 10 years but they do decide to move on sometimes… When they do, they achieve great returns from selling their magazine to a new Families® Magazine business owner.
Why Families® Magazine stands out
- the franchisor’s commitment and ongoing investment in the Families network.
- the experience and dedication of the Head Office team which provides, friendly, highly-responsive and bespoke support and training for each individual franchisee.
- the focus on training for new and established franchisees with a new launch package of 9.5 days of training across sales, publishing, marketing, distribution, website, all IT systems and social media.
- the launch offering, which includes over 200 hours of sales expertise from a media sales professional, selling advertising into the launch title over its first year.
- the launch package delivers a profit from day 1 and limited working capital is required.
- strong central advertising team selling regionally and nationally and revenue from this activity contributes significantly to the revenue of franchisees.
- reputation for being the friendliest network in town!
Main roles of franchise owner
- Selling advertising to local businesses.
- Creating a vital, interesting, local publication which will hold the interest of readers
- Undertaking all aspects of publishing the magazine including selection of articles and imagery, editing, working with a designer on lay out, proofing and uploading to print
- Distributing copies of the magazine via a network of distributors to places such as schools, libraries and pre-schools
- Marketing your business and magazine via social media platforms
An average franchisee works 25 hours per week but much can be done outside of office hours. Running a magazine is not a part time role, but it is a flexible one.
Most franchisees are parents who want to manage the care of their family whilst working and earning.
Greater time input is required for launch titles, but most franchisees are able to organise their work schedule to take time off with their children during school holidays.
Skills, experience and personal Qualities
- Sales experience or a natural disposition for sales and a willingness to embrace it. (A comprehensive media sales training package is provided)
- Ability to build and maintain relationships
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Motivation and drive to grow your business
- Interest in what is going on for families in your community
- Good organisational skills and attention to detail
- A rewarding and flexible home based business which will increase in value
- A regular income
- Flexible working and lots of time off
- No corporate stress!
- Acquisition of many transferable skills
The cost of a Families® franchise varies depending on the location.
Families® believe in matching the purchase price to the opportunity and that’s why they have different price points for different territories. Not only that but between 75% and 100% of what you pay is invested back into your business in the first year, in sales hours, mentoring, covering print costs, training and much more.
The entry price range is £4,000 to £12,500 (plus VAT).
- The benefit of working with a leading, established, trusted, respected and ethical brand.
- Business practices which have been developed and adapted over 30 years and are continually evolving.
- A brand which is highly regarded as an effective marketing tool by other leading brands.
- Low cost entry and low overheads for a territory large enough for future growth.
- Sales and mentoring support from a professional media sales agent selling advertising into your magazine for the first 12 months of its life.
- A wealth of working documents and a unique, specially created, software package for use to run your business.
- Full induction and training programme, including sales training.
- Access to regular training days, business growth workshops and in-house support.
- National/regional sales bookings via the franchisor sales team and cross-sales from within the group.
- Access to high-quality articles and features to help you broaden the local content you create.
- Access to bespoke advice and support from their Head Office.
Find out more about Families Magazine by clicking below now!
Anonymous1 Reviews Verified
I purchased an existing franchise around 18months ago and have found the initial and ongoing support from Linda and her team invaluable! Linda is super busy but always makes time to provide the necessary support, she is also very pragmatic with her advice. Although there is obviously a formal business relationship between Linda as Franchisor and myself as Franchisee it is all very friendly, and Linda has created a very supportive group of Editors. The annual conference organised by Linda is super worthwhile attending and a great opportunity to meet other editors.
Anonymous1 Reviews Verified
Head Office is very supportive to editors of all levels, providing ongoing training, content and advice. As a group, Families is very collaborative - the group of nearly 40 editors regularly share experience and help each other succeed.
Claire J1 Reviews Verified
I've been a franchisee since Jan 2014 and really enjoy managing my own business and producing the magazine. Working from home is great as I'm always here for the children and can change my hours to suit so I don't miss out on school events or if one of them is poorly. Head Office is very supportive and the whole family of editors is also there when you need them.
Stacey Phillips1 Reviews Verified
I have been part of the Families franchise for almost 5 years and managing my own business that works round my own Family has been amazing. The support available to ensure my business is a success is fantastic, with help at every single step of the way. There is a huge amount of time and effort that is given from our Franchise Director to support all of the magazines in the group, identifying areas of growth and opportunity and delivering very effective training to support our own personal development, and the Families print brand. My experience with Families has been a very positive one, and would highly recommend to anyone looking to run their own business, safe in the knowledge that you will receive so much help, guidance and support to ensure success.
Sarah H1 Reviews Verified
I have been a franchisee for 12 years and it has been the perfect job for me enabling me to work around my children. There is so much support and training from head office, and also other franchisees are on hand to answer questions and provide advice. Everyone is so friendly - I really love running my magazine.
Co-op eyeing 40 franchise stores by the end of the year
The Co-op is set to take its franchise estate to almost 40 stores by the end of the year, well ahead of its original target.[..]Read More
Franchise Theatre School Congratulates Scholarship Winners
The world may have been put on hold but that hasn’t stopped children and young people dreaming of their futures. For those with a passion[..]Read More
Good Oaks Home Care Set To Expand Into The Midlands With Three Offices Opening
Good Oaks Home Care, a premium home care and live-in care franchise, is continuing its expansion as three new franchised offices recently opened. The three[..]Read More
Franchise Brands posts record sales at Metro Rod
Franchise Brands PLC (LON:FRAN) said its drainage solutions division Metro Rod has posted record sales for the six months to 30 June. Top Franchises for[..]Read More
Bluebird Care franchise offers clients a trip down memory lane
Bluebird Care Birmingham East and North has launched a new project for its customers, offering them a trip down memory lane. Top Franchises for 2021[..]Read More
Tim Hortons emerges as the most searched franchise in Canada
Tim Hortons is a franchise often synonymously known with Canada, and it appears the country’s web searches justify that notion. Top Franchises for 2021 -[..]Read More