The leading free magazine for local parents
Become part of the Families family and publish your own magazine for local parents!
Publish a magazine you’d love to read yourself! You don’t need a background in magazines or publishing to become a successful Families® magazine franchise owner but you do need to be motivated, organised and an excellent communicator.
This is a home-based, flexible business opportunity as a publisher of the UK’s favourite magazine for parents.
What is Families Magazine?
A free bi-monthly magazine which is so relevant to parent readers that it has become a much-sought-after community resource. Readers frequently tell Families® Magazine how much they appreciate it.
“The magazine is essential and I would be lost without it!”
Sarah, Hatfield, Hertfordshire
“Thank you for this publication. It is a lifesaver!”
Jule, Stoke on Trent
The magazine offers local businesses a highly targeted way of marketing to local parents via print, online and social media.
Families Magazine® trail-blazed the free parenting magazine model. They are leaders in their field and have been building their brand for 30 years.
They have 40 editions across the country but it’s not too late to join them! They still have franchise launch opportunities available in plenty of areas. Many of their existing franchisees have been with them for more than 10 years but they do decide to move on sometimes… When they do, they achieve great returns from selling their magazine to a new Families® Magazine business owner.
Why Families® Magazine stands out
- the franchisor’s commitment and ongoing investment in the Families network.
- the experience and dedication of the Head Office team which provides, friendly, highly-responsive and bespoke support and training for each individual franchisee.
- the focus on training for new and established franchisees with a new launch package of 9.5 days of training across sales, publishing, marketing, distribution, website, all IT systems and social media.
- the launch offering, which includes over 200 hours of sales expertise from a media sales professional, selling advertising into the launch title over its first year.
- the launch package delivers a profit from day 1 and limited working capital is required.
- strong central advertising team selling regionally and nationally and revenue from this activity contributes significantly to the revenue of franchisees.
- reputation for being the friendliest network in town!
Main roles of franchise owner
- Selling advertising to local businesses.
- Creating a vital, interesting, local publication which will hold the interest of readers
- Undertaking all aspects of publishing the magazine including selection of articles and imagery, editing, working with a designer on lay out, proofing and uploading to print
- Distributing copies of the magazine via a network of distributors to places such as schools, libraries and pre-schools
- Marketing your business and magazine via social media platforms
An average franchisee works 25 hours per week but much can be done outside of office hours. Running a magazine is not a part time role, but it is a flexible one.
Most franchisees are parents who want to manage the care of their family whilst working and earning.
Greater time input is required for launch titles, but most franchisees are able to organise their work schedule to take time off with their children during school holidays.
Skills, experience and personal Qualities
- Sales experience or a natural disposition for sales and a willingness to embrace it. (A comprehensive media sales training package is provided)
- Ability to build and maintain relationships
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Motivation and drive to grow your business
- Interest in what is going on for families in your community
- Good organisational skills and attention to detail
- A rewarding and flexible home based business which will increase in value
- A regular income
- Flexible working and lots of time off
- No corporate stress!
- Acquisition of many transferable skills
The cost of a Families® franchise varies depending on the location.
Families® believe in matching the purchase price to the opportunity and that’s why they have different price points for different territories. Not only that but between 75% and 100% of what you pay is invested back into your business in the first year, in sales hours, mentoring, covering print costs, training and much more.
The entry price range is £4,000 to £12,500 (plus VAT).
- The benefit of working with a leading, established, trusted, respected and ethical brand.
- Business practices which have been developed and adapted over 30 years and are continually evolving.
- A brand which is highly regarded as an effective marketing tool by other leading brands.
- Low cost entry and low overheads for a territory large enough for future growth.
- Sales and mentoring support from a professional media sales agent selling advertising into your magazine for the first 12 months of its life.
- A wealth of working documents and a unique, specially created, software package for use to run your business.
- Full induction and training programme, including sales training.
- Access to regular training days, business growth workshops and in-house support.
- National/regional sales bookings via the franchisor sales team and cross-sales from within the group.
- Access to high-quality articles and features to help you broaden the local content you create.
- Access to bespoke advice and support from their Head Office.
Find out more about Families Magazine by clicking below now!
Katie A1 Reviews Verified
Training and support has been fantastic. You don’t just become a franchisee, you become part of a community with so much advice, help and answers to all questions you could possibly have. Constantly we are updated with training and support, to keep the business model current and fresh! I have had so much fun taking over my magazine and making it my own, but staying true to the brand, whilst working around my family and making money!
Anonymous1 Reviews Verified
Loads of support & training; and great help & advice from other franchisees on a private forum - as well as from head office. Quality product and an established brand.
Jayne K1 Reviews Verified
A fantastic business to be part of. The right mix of having the support system of a franchise yet feeling in control of how you run your business. Constantly looking at new opportunities and ways to improve. Would definitely recommend.
Suzanne B1 Reviews Verified
Becoming a Families franchisee was not a decision I took lightly. I was worried about how I'd cope with running my own business from home as I'd had NO business experience, NO franchising experience, NO magazine experience, and NO marketing experience. On paper, I hardly seemed like the ideal candidate for this job! Despite all this I decided to take the plunge and since I bought my magazine edition back in 2015, I've never looked back. It became quickly apparent that I had joined the warm friendly UK-wide network - the Families family! Everyone across the UK network was helpful, ready to give advice on all manner of topics and always had time to support each other. None of my rooky questions were scoffed at or considered unimportant. That's what makes Families so special. The initial training was thorough, and the ongoing career development opportunities - through webinars, 1-to-1 phone calls, conferences, etc, are invaluable. Although I work from home I never feel alone, there is always someone in the Families network to turn to for advice, guidance or moral support. Also, I've had great opportunities offered to me and my family to go to places, meet people, attend occasions and all manner of other things I'd never otherwise had had the chance to experience. The home/work life flexibility running this business offers is invaluable to me and my family. It is wonderful to be able to attend ALL my children's school events without the guilt of missing work, or the hassle of finding cover, as I am completely free to manage my own time exactly as I wish. With Families I have: - the opportunity to learn how the world of business works within a supportive network - a job I love - a job which I find incredibly satisifying and rewarding - a job all my friends envy - a job that has improved my quality of life, and the quality of my family's life!
Rebecca Lewis1 Reviews Verified
I took on a Families franchise in November 2018 and so my business is still quite new, and already doing well and performing ahead of target. The support and guidance from head office has been fantastic and far exceeded my expectations. As well as being approachable and knowledgeable, the great thing about the team is that they’ve run their own franchise magazines in the past, which means that every single problem I’ve encountered in getting my own off the ground, is something they’ve dealt with before, and have the answer for. I’ve been able to launch and begin to grow my business while working flexible hours around my very young family. And what’s also great is that I’m learning so much through launching the business and the training provided – it feels like I’m expanding my skillset and really growing my career.
The Massage Company to debut in Scotland with 10 locations
Massage franchise The Massage Company (TMC) will launch 10 new centres in Scotland over the next three years, in partnership with Franchise&. Top Franchises for[..]Read More
German Doner Kebab Hits Landmark Moment As It Opens Its 100th UK Restaurant
German Doner Kebab (GDK) will reach the major milestone of opening its 100th UK restaurant this week. Top Franchises for 2022 - Search our Directory[..]Read More
Bubblewrap kickstarts expansion with first franchise site
Instagram-famous dessert brand Bubblewrap has launched its first franchise site to kickstart its plans for significant expansion. Top Franchises for 2022 - Search our Directory[..]Read More
Profits jump at Burger King UK as online sales surge
Burger King UK’s earnings almost tripled last year thanks to a jump in people ordering online. The chain made sales of £211.7 million for the[..]Read More
Razzamataz Theatre School Is Investing In The Health Of The Next Generation
The effects of school closures and lockdowns have been widely spoken about in terms of children’s health and development. In a recent interview, Chief Medical[..]Read More
Cake Box sales to top previous year by 50%
Celebration cake specialist Cake Box expects annual revenues to rise by 50% year-on-year, according to a full-year trading update. Top Franchises for 2022 - Search[..]Read More